Single layer PCB also known as a Single Sided PCB is a type of PCB, which comes with only one layer of conducting material on one side of the board, and the other side is used for incorporating different electronic components on the board.
Single layer PCBs were the start point of Printed Circuit Board technology but they still play an important part in the electronic industry.
What are the advantages of Single Layer PCB?
- Single Layer PCBs are normally cheaper to manufacture and are an ideal choice for low-density designs.
- Cost-effectiveness is a big advantage of single layer PCB. If you do not need the extra space a double-sided PCB provides, you can save money if you go with a single layer board.
- Easier to design and has lower probability to make incorrect design
- As it only consists of a single layer therefore it is drilling, soldering, de-soldering and components inserting process is very easy.
What are the disadvantages of a Single Layer PCB?
- The simple and easily manufacturing design of a single layer PCB make effective for users but it also has some limitations.
- Some Circuits where large numbers of components need to be assembled, they need a large space and more connection points that are lacked by the board.
- The minimum number of components joining joints also disturb its speed and power. Due to its less operating speed a single layer PCB is not favourable for such applications where a large number of connections are needed.
What is Single Layer PCB’s used in?
- In home appliances like coffee machines
- Mobile phones, calculators, and radio’s
- Calculators and Camera Systems
- The solid-state drive also consists of a single layer PCB and different sensors that are constructed with a single-layered PCB board.